Friday, July 20, 2012

The Waldo Canyon Fire

The Waldo Canyon fire started on an ordinary Saturday, the kids and I were headed to the theatre to see Brave. Driving Northwest on I25 I saw the familiar plume of a forest fire, and I remember thinking how close it was to our beautiful city. The fire started out slow, but ended up making world news. 

It spread 18,247 acres, 347 beautiful structures were lost, two beautiful lives were lost. It is the most destructive fire in Colorado history.

Now the fire is contained, and 347 structures are still lost. I pray for these families every night, and donate as much as I can to them. 

The other day, before an outing with my girlfriends,  I was very close to the burn zone. Nikon in hand I decided to drive over and witness it first hand. Within half a mile of the zone, the smell of smoke lingers, and the feeling of loss hits you dead in the chest. I immediately felt the overwhelming power this fire had, police still zoned in the area...and families were still seen sifting through the ashes.

Here is a glimpse into what I found.










Thank you so much to all the brave men and women who responded to this tragedy, to everyone in our beautiful community who reacted and took each other in. I am proud to live here, among all the heroes.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...