Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Smells

There is something about a smell that can trigger a very strong memory. This happens to me often and every once in awhile one of my favorite smells comes around.

The other day I was shopping in a cute little boutique store in Colorado Springs when this woman walked past me, she smelled JUST like my Grandmother. The smell was so alike it shot me back in time to my grandmas house, watching her sit at her table in her robe, a drink in one hand and a smoke in the other. My grandma didn't smell of scotch and smoke, but she did have a distinct perfume and laundry combination.

I always want to stop and tell the person, how they sent me back through time but I don't know if they will understand.


I miss my Grandma.


Today while in my closet, on my dusty bookshelf that I haven't really looked at since I got my kindle, I noticed a book sitting there. I forgot I had this book but as I picked it up, there it was the smell of my Grandma. I imagined her sitting there in her little Texan home reading this book and I wish I could ask her what she thought of it.

I am going to have to give this classic a read and form my own opinions, but for now I am so thankful for this little book and holding on to the scent of my grandmother.


1 comment:

Florencia said...

Oh wow I am sorry that you miss grandma and the smell brought you back to her .
Maybe is a good thing .
I can remember my grandma's house and the smells from all the stores in her huge neighborhood ..
I do hope some day when I am dead you get the same memories from your mom....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...